We’re going to try something new with our round-up of updates this year. Since we’ve reviewed so many apps in the past several years we’re going to highlight just the apps that have made the biggest updates. Mentioning minor bug fixes is fine, but we want to make sure you’re aware of the changes that will affect how you use the app…significant enough that the update may even require a follow-up review in the future.
With that, here are the apps you should make sure are up-to-date on your smartphone now.
1. Bookmark wines you want to try. Anytime you see a wine you can add it to your wish list. The app allows you to view your wish list and purchase these wines at a later date.
2. Instagram Integration. Share wines directly to Instagram (with filters)
3. Redesigned wine list lets you more easily rate and find wines you’ve shared with friends. Delectable will now show you where you had the wine, the number of people you’ve tagged and the number of comments your friends and the Delectable community have left on your wines. Plus you can rate wines directly from your wines screen.
4. Rebuilt activity screen to make it easier for you see conversations about the wines you are interested in and the new people joining the app
5. New sharing settings makes sharing, or not sharing, easier. Plus you can more easily share wines via e-mail and SMS directly from the app
6. Push notifications will now bring you directly to the relevant part of the app, so you can quickly see the wines your friends are talking about
7. Added support for Forgot Password
8. The app will remember the state you used for last purchase
1. Drafts: Take a photo and add details later
2. Skip Photo: Jot down the place & dish name while you still have the menu and add a photo later
3. Suggested Places: See suggested places based on where the photo was taken (if you’ve allowed location services)
4. Date Taken: See the date taken (instead of date uploaded) on your profile and following feed
5. Lists: Like Guides and Nearby Places have been unified to use unified search controls and paging
1. Optimized and enabled for iPhone 5 and all iOS 6 devices
2. Updated video capabilities: Higher quality and performance
3. Many bug fixes and performance enhancements
Food with Friends: Foodily Sharing & Recipes
1. New tastemakers to follow, faster fave actions and recipe pages, avatars are now clickable in discussions
2. Bug fix for app crash in contacts tab
3. Facebook Connect bug resolved with iOS upgrade to 6.1
BigOven – 250,000+ Recipes and Grocery List
1. Create and save your own complete menus for one or more meals
2. Add saved menus onto dates in the calendar-based Menu Planner
3. Pro members can add complete menus directly to the Grocery List
4. Browse and share menus from other cooks for special occasions and everyday meals
1. Great new links to Wall of Cocktails and Wall of Bartending
2. Ad Free! (version 5.31)
3. Fixed certain images that weren’t appearing
4. Added Twitter link on the main page
Grocery List Free (Shopping List)
1. iPhone 5 support
2. iPad support
3. Fixed crashing in iOS 6
Hello Vino – Wine Recommendations
1. Enhanced image recognition said to make a huge improvement to the image recognition feature
2. New food and drink recommendations
3. Wine database update.
4. Updated for iPhone 5
5. Ability to restore unlimited image recognition scans and a fix for a bug that did not display wine photos added by some users